Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"My soul followeth hard after thee....


...thy right hand upholdeth me."



While reading the first couple of pages of AW Tozers "The Pursuit of God" I was so interested that at this time, early 1900's, he writes about how we need to chase after God, how people are getting caught up in the programs, and getting so busy and yadda yadda yadda. This is not a new struggle! He talks of how we need to hunger and thirst for the Lord really "follow hard after him". I've read Psalm 63 a ton, it's one of my favorites. A couple of weeks ago I got stuck on verse 8 "My soul clings to you" I just loved that imagery, it's not just a desire but a strong sense of necessity, a longing. Then Towser wrote the KJV "My soul followeth hard after thee..." So beautiful.


I was today of what a beautiful picture this verse is of our relationship with God. We are to pursue God, thirst and hunger for him, to chase after him...yet we're already with him. We are to long for his presence yet are already there. We are in his right hand. We are saved, we are righteous in his sight, not by works but by who he is. He holds on to us as we cling to him. It's like a beautiful oxymoron, we chase yet we stand still. We are saved but our salvation doesn't end with a prayer, it begins. We work out our salvation in fear and trembling as we enter into the throne room, yet we are free to sit.
I was thinking about that image, and how it seems pointless...we're chasing and pursuing but not getting anywhere. I knew this wasn't the case but thats how it sort or reads. And I thought of a treadmill, because you run and run and run, but you don't get anywhere! You're stationary. However you still feel the effects of it, it is still healthy, you work your muscles, you strengthen your heart. . . . I followeth hard after thee, thy right hand upholdeth me.


1 comment:

Elleah said...

Thanks for that! :)